Reading and Literacy Teacher
- - West Sanford Branch
- Sanford, FL, USA
- Part Time
This role will work 10 hours per week for 32 weeks throughout the school year for Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring Breaks.
Responsible for working alongside Literacy & Reading Coach, teachers and reading program assistant in delivering improvements to Club Member literacy skills. Must provide age appropriate literacy assistance, coaching and mentoring for members age 6-18 that are supportive of Boys & Girls Clubs core competencies, core programs, and youth development learning strategy. Provides passionate, motivational and lead support to members in reading skills and comprehension. Supports a positive and creative learning environment where reading enhancement skills can occur. Strong coaching, mentoring and teaching skills are sought after in the areas of reading, comprehension and continuous learning.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Prepare Youth for Learning Success
Reading Intervention Teacher will perform the following duties: Supervision of Club Member learning:
- Work with independent contractors, teachers and program staff, and club administration to identify issues with Club Members or curriculum, set goals, and solve problems
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop curriculum and lesson plans
- Attend relevant professional development conferences and workshops to enhance teaching and coaching skills
- Conduct Club Member assessments and analyze their work
- Counsel Club Members to help them discover their strengths and to set goals
- Interpret data after assessments have been conducted
- Model lessons to help teachers and staff member learn
- Ensure Club Member participation in literacy related programs at the direction of supervision.
- May be asked to showcase members' outcomes successes and endeavors.
- Consult with supervisors concerning member literacy issues or roadblocks
Internal: Maintain close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club Members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain or interpret guidelines/instructions; instruct, and advise/counsel.
External: Maintain contact as needed with external community groups, schools, member's parents and other to assist in resolving problems.
- Current Florida Certified Teacher
- Bacholer's Degree in Education or higher
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups and classrooms of students
- Excellent teaching experience (based on evaluations and written recommendations)
- Knowledgeable about reading processes, assessment, and instruction
- Effective communicators who aren't afraid to provide honest feedback
- Experienced in coaching educators and aiding in professional development
- Masters of their craft and comfortable modeling lessons and teaching techniques in front of other educators
- Strong diplomacy communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Group leadership skills, including an understanding of group dynamics.
- Understanding of children's educational development.
- Ability to work with diverse populations with maturity and flexibility.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical requirements: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions and policy manuals. The ability to clearly and concisely exchange/receive ideas, facts and or technical information with others. Ability to visually monitor activities of Club Members. The employee is required to use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee may occasionally lift and or move up to 10 pounds. Work environment: Club and/or classroom environment. Travel may be required to attend off-site meetings, conferences, or workshops. May require time standing for long periods of time instructing in a classroom or club setting.