Performing Arts Dance Instructor
- - Youth Arts Initiative
- Orlando, FL, USA
- Part Time
WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MULTIPLE SITES THROUGHOUT ORLANDO.
Under general supervision of the Director of Arts Programs, the Dance Instructor is considered a professional, practicing teaching artist and is responsible for the development, direction and management of Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida's Youth Arts Initiative program at the Club level. The Dance Instructor will collaborate with the Club program team to design and implement a rich dance program focused on teaching tweens and teens. The Dance Instructor is responsible for delivering youth-centric performing arts programming that must hold youth to high expectations, provide lessons intended to build upon progressive skill levels, be relevant to the popular artistic forms and the interests of adolescent participants, use any applicable technology/equipment, and engage key stakeholders and culminate in high-profile public events.
- Ability to teach using various dance styles and methodologies from beginner to advanced levels.
- Develop dance curriculum and prepare lesson plans.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse group of teachers and students.
- Engage, encourage, and motivate students to reach their goals as well as evaluate student performance and make recommendations for improvement.
- Choreograph routines and select music for recitals and concerts.
- Provide a fun and creative environment.
- Keep up to date in your discipline and implement any changes to the dance routines and curriculum as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Dance or qualification from an accredited college.
- Previous teaching experience required.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Energetic, driven, creative, and dependable.
- Demonstrate patience and leadership skills
Provide Professional Dance Instruction to Club youth
- Establish and maintain, in collaboration with youth, an environment of physical and emotional safety based on respect at all levels.
- Teach a variety of dance styles and techniques to students from beginner to advanced level
- Lead eight to ten -week program blocks throughout the year: one in the fall semester, one in the spring semester and one during the summer.
- In collaboration with youth artists and supported by other Club staff, organize and implement culminating events for recitals during the year (at the close of each session).
- Adhere to all requested program evaluation and documentation protocol detailed by Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida.
Serve as a Club Staff Team Member and Youth Mentor
- Participate in all required and recommended Club trainings and staff meetings.
- Serve as an adult mentor to Boys & Girls Club youth.
- Serve as a champion for high-quality arts for young people
PERSONAL/PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND TRAITS:
Professional, Practicing Teaching Artist (PPTA)
- Has earned markers of success in the field of dance
- Holds a relevant educational background in Dance and Performing Arts
- Has worked in a mentorship/teaching role with tweens and teens (preferred but not required)
Passion, Commitment and Knowledge of Dance and Youth Development
- Demonstrates commitment and dedication to the arts
- Gives compelling testimony to the value of dance and high-quality arts learning.
- Shows care and concern for youth and their artistic practice.
- Moves others to commit to their work in the arts.
- Understands outcome measurement specified for this project.
Relationships and Teambuilding
- Promotes an environment of respect at all levels.
- Encourages youth leadership and decision-making.
- Builds trust and rapport quickly.
- Communicates and collaborates openly, honestly and frequently with all Youth Arts Initiative staff.
- Expresses self clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing; and adapts messages to the audience.
- Responds in a timely manner to all work emails and time sensitive matters.
- Presents to others in hands-on, interesting and engaging ways.
- Able to facilitate, mentor, lead and respond to youth needs.
- Ensures resolution of problems or issues.
- Establishes credibility and a trusting relationship with youth.
- Asks for, listens and responds to youth needs.
- Creates and communicates tactical objectives and action plans in arts program development.
- Monitors and reports progress as detailed by Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida.
- Holds self and others accountable for completing tasks on schedule.
- Fosters trusting long-term relationships with individuals and arts organizations.
- Assists in problem-solving while building problem-solving skills in others.
- Collaborates on development of deliverables and brings timely closure to work.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS: this position will have access to a fully dedicated dance studio within the Club. Youth programming should be the primary focus; however, collaboration with the Club staff should take place to plan all additional programming, professional development and networking opportunities.
Visual: Normal acuity required daily for making color distinction, depth of sight, preparing/analyzing figures, computer use and written records
Communication: Able to express thoughts and ideas in an accurate and understandable manner through verbal and written format with internal and external contacts
Movement: Ability to maneuver within work site 4-8 hours per day
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing/Carrying: Able to comfortably move and manipulate up to 30 lbs. of weight
Travel: Required to travel by car to other Club locations depending upon where class is taking place (all Orlando area, mileage is reimbursable)
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts